CAASAH is a support house for people with the HIV positive (AIDS), some of who come from the street to live in the house. Also CAASAH gives assistance to outpatients’ food supplies and psychological health. Founded in 1999, CAASAH works as an NGO supported by the government and community donations. At the facility, there are 83 people – 35 children and 48 adults. Currently it has 23 children, ranging 3 months old to 12 years of age, and 27 adults.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The New Girl

I am currently working at CAASAH alongside Tamarin, Rebecca and Romy. The girls had been working at CAASAH for sometime when I arrived. This was a good thing for me because they were able to introduce me to staff and children of CAASAH and I could observe the routine that the girls had implemented. However it also brought some disadvantages as the girls had bonded so well with the children which meant initially they didn’t take to kindly to me. I had to be patient until such time that I managed to win their trust and friendship.

An Emotional Rollercoaster

I am going to tell you about a difficult day at CAASAH and a delightful day. This may not mean very much to you right very much to you right now but you may find it comforting to read again if you have a difficult or delightful day whilst working at CAASAH.

Difficult Day

I arrived at CAASAH with the other 3 volunteers, the children nushed to them and hugged them with great delight. I said “Bom dia” (Good Morning) to a little girl who made a face at me and then turned her back on me.
We went inside and I pulled out the craft I had prepared for the day. I tried to encourage the children to get involved but they just tore the craft in two and ran away. I eventually persuaded 3 boys to participate in the craft. It was going really well the boys were sharing the materials and being really creative but most importantly they were having fun!
Unfornately this did not last as one of the day younger boys came over and stole the glue stick. This caused the first child to immediately. Stand up and lash out at him, the two started fighting ferociously. I intervened and I just felt as f they were beginning to settle when another fight broke out, the activity was thrown across the room and I was left feeling emotionally drained.
Later I managed to involve 2 girls in some drawing; again this was going well until they asked me a question in Portuguese. I didn’t understand what they were asking; they got so frustrated with me that they walked away. I felt as if I had no connection with these children which in turn made it difficult for me to love them, stimulate them and show them firm but fair discipline in relation to how they should treat others. I was very disappointed in myself because I couldn’t speak their language and instead of stimulating the children with my activity it caused them to fight.


Delightful Day


I arrived at CAASAH with the other volunteers the children ran to the girls and hugged them. Then a little girl turned towards me and gave me a hug. What a wonderful start to my day. I went in and sat down at a table by myself and started the activity I had prepared. One of the older boys came over to watch me, I asked him if he would like to make a book and he did. One by one the other children came over to join in, including the girl who made a face at me yesterday. She was particularly excited and participated for a long time.

Thanks to the Portuguese lesson I am beginning to understand key words the children are using and the children were beginning to have more patience with me.

It was an extremely quick day; I really felt I had fulfilled my role in entertaining and the children. We are definitely beginning to build a rap our.
As I was leaving at the end of my delightful day I said “Tchau” (Goodbye) to a little girl and continued walking. She shouted my name and as I turned I saw her running towards me. She jumped up and gave me a big kiss and a cuddle!


Points to consider

· Give the children time to get to know you and accept you. Remember they see a constant turnover of adults in their lives as volunteers come and go, and staff changes every other day.
· Read the CAASAH blog periodically while working at CAASAH to remind yourself of what these children have been through. It’ll help you to understand them.
· Understand why they fight with each other but do not condone it. Be firm but fair, calm and consistent when maintaining discipline.
· Learn some Brazilian Portuguese
· Be patient and understanding
· Don’t be hard on yourself if you have a difficult day return to the home base for a big hug from Loo Loo (the cleaner) and you’ll feel better.
· This is not a medical placement although a medical background helps you to understand HIV and AIDS.
· It helps if you have some experience of children in relation to planning activities.
· You may consider working in smaller groups
· Have fun an love them


Good luck and enjoy

Karen CAASAH
November 2006
CCS volunteer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home